Sunday, January 07, 2007

Recipe - Onion Tarte

I cooked so much this weekend! I don’t know what came over me! Last week I had no energy and we ate sandwiches most of the week, I wanted to make enough food to last us at least part of the week if we’re as busy as the last. We had the steak dinner on Friday, cream and mushroom sauce and roasted potatoes. Then Saturday I made cauliflower cheese, baked rigatoni, and 2 tartes, one cheese and one onion. It was my first onion tarte and it came out great! It’s pretty easy, here it comes.

Ingredients –

For the pastry –
1 cup flower
150 grams butter at room temp
Half a teaspoon of salt
Warm water
For the filling –
3-4 big onion
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons sour cream
¼ cup milk
1 large egg
Salt
Pepper
Ground nutmeg

Put the cup of flour on a work surface or in a big bowl, add the butter cut into cubes and the salt. Work the dough with you hand till it’s all nice and smooth, you might need some water but don’t add too much. Cover it and put in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes. It’s a very brittle dough and hard to work with, you can use store bought pizza dough if you’re not good with that stuff.

While the dough is chilling (like a villain) prepare the filling (I'm a poet, didnt even know it). Heat up a heavy skillet and melt the butter, add the chopped onion and cook on high heat for a few minutes till they’re all covered in butter and starting to sweat. Lowere the heat and cover the skillet. Cook for about 20-25 minutes covered and then take off the heat and let chill. When the onions are a bit colder add sour cream, milk and seasoning to them, add a well beaten egg and taste, remember the onions are going to be pretty sweet when cooked. I add a bit of parmesan cheese to the filling for an extra kick.

Take the dough out of the fridge and role it out, you need a pie baking pan for this. Again this dough is really yummy but annoying, I usually role it part of the way and just push it into the pan with my hands. Pout the filling onto your dough and slide it into the oven. This should cook for about 30-40 minute until you see the edges of the dough start browning and the filling is golden.
Serve with a salad and a glass of red wine!

If you want recipes for the rest of the stuff – let me know!

1 comment:

Marcia said...

That onion tarte sounds so good! I'm going to try to get my husband to eat that - I think he'll love it if he gives it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. :)