Sunday, January 20, 2008

Rehab is the New Black

Shrinks call it a personal inventory or an emotional inventory some shit like that. I think I heard it as part of the 12 step program. My friend Avi started posting weird Facebook statuses like ‘Avis is living the first day of the rest of his life’ and such. So I asked him, half jokingly if he was in rehab and turns out my dear friend has made a decision to give up the drink. He said he couldn’t go on the way he was and he was really unhappy. He said it wasn’t about being addicted it’s about the way of life. Did I mention he owns 2 of the most successful bar in J-town? He said he wants a different life and new goals. He can’t act like a 23 year old forever and he needs a different ambition. He’s my age, has 2 successful businesses and he needs a new life. My thoughts – can I take his place? I’m about to turn 32 and I feel like I’ve wasted my life so far battling ghosts inside my head. Trying to get over crippling depression and self esteem issues and just have a fucking job, relationship, smile on my face. I don’t even have a degree or a driver's license. I get his dilemma but I kinda want to shake him and show him how lucky he is. All I can say is I hope you find yourself Avi.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess for him it's not the outward success that is making him want to change his life. It's his own mental health that he wants to have success in. Good for him if that's what he wants to do. I firmly believe that your day will come for all of us at some point.

Melissa said...

hats off to him. seriously.

Brunhilda said...

I say good for him. It's one thing to run a bar, entirely another to stay in that "bar mentality" for life. I hope he finds himself too. You too, Sarah.