Tuesday, June 10, 2008

F.E.A.R

So Sunday I’m reading this interview with Trent Reznor and I read this quote: “Fear has governed my life, if I think about it, I don’t even know why I’m saying this in an interview situation, but I always feel like I’m not good enough for some reason. I wish that wasn’t the case, but left to my own devices, that voice starts speaking up.”

The first thing I thought of was how does someone who’s done so much say that he’s governed by fear? Most of us will die dreaming of doing a fraction of what this guy has accomplished.

The ‘not good enough’ thing I get, 100 percent, that’s me. I’m never good enough no matter what. But I’ve always seen myself as fearless. I think that was only in certain areas. I was never afraid of what I felt, good or bad. I was never afraid of others challenging who I was. But in my professional life, yeah I guess I am afraid.

My parents (love them to death) are very negative people, the attitude around the house is that no matter what you do you’ll never be happy. Life’s a bitch and then you die. And growing up with this mentality fucks you up. So yeah, I never went to college (took a few courses and stopped), I never had a job I loved, never took a chance.

We’re getting closer to the date. July 1st is when I have to tell my boss I’m not staying, not taking the pay cut. Since last week I’ve been having a few doubts, maybe I should stay, maybe I’ll fail miserably and come back to the company begging for a job. The thing is, I can stay, they’ll be happy if I stay. But that’s the point, I need to do something that scares me. I need to challenge myself.

I remember reading in another interview with Trent that for him NIN was a way to challenge himself and to push his limits. “Nine Inch Nails was an experiment with me in discipline. I realized when I was 23 that I had never really tried anything. Schoolwork came easy to me. I learned to play piano effortlessly. I was coasting. I realized that I was afraid to really, really try something, 100 percent, because I had never reached true failure.”

5 comments:

Brunhilda said...

"Life’s a bitch and then you die." Oh hell no, that's my Dad's favorite saying right there. Anytime anything bad happens he spouts that off.

You need to leave that job. Take the chance!

Unknown said...

I have way too much to say here, so I'm not going to LOLOLOLOL My wrists couldn't take it LOLOL

Let's just say I hear you 100%, and I think leaving your job will be TERRIFYING, but I also think everything happens for a reason, and even if you have to struggle at first - and you might - it'll work out in the end. And I don't mean the VERY end, as in the "life's a bitch and THEN YOU DIE" end, LOL

You've been there for hubby with his job changes, he'll be there for you, you'll figure it out. And yeah, no matter what happens, you'll have done something very scary and you can be proud of that alone.

OK, I just typed the BAREST BARE MINIMUM of what I wanted to say and IT'S STILL a frickin' dissertation LOL Again, just know, I hear you :)

xoxoxo

Lizzle said...

I think you already know that you need to get the hell out before things head any further south than they already have.

I mean the job I was planning to go to fell through, but you can bet that I'm still getting the hell out of dodge.

Yes, it's scary not knowing where you'll land, but it works itself out, and you'll be better off for at least having taken the shot!

SarahReznor said...

Okay, first of all I love you all very much. Jen, Mike’s been reassuring me every two minutes of exactly what you’re saying that he’ll be there for me and all that. I love this man :)

And y’all are right, I have no doubt of what I’m going to do, I need a change bad. Speaking of things happening for a reason this is really cool - yesterday I spoke to a friend about a possible job, less money but a lot more soul, and today we got the new contracts to sign. So how’s that for a sign, hu?

I’m actually dizzy just thinking about it all but I’m certain I have to move on and “get the hell out of dodge”.

SarahReznor said...

p.s. Jenner - plz feel free to spill as much as you want!!!!