Thursday, November 02, 2006

New Tradition – Recipe of the Day (or week, can’t promise a daily recipe)

Potato Gratin

My mother used to make this all the time when we were kids, it’s really easy and it makes me think of coming back from school on a cold day to a warm house.

4-5 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into thin slices
1 clove of garlic
Butter
1 cup milk or cream
1 egg
Salt and pepper
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Butter a baking dish (lasagna dish is best) and rub the buttered surface with the garlic clove, this will give the gratin a bit of flavor. Arrange the potato slices in the dish, season. Mix the milk or cream with the beaten egg and grated cheese, season and pour onto the potatoes. Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend covering the dish with foil for the first 20-25 minutes.

4 comments:

SarahReznor said...

bon appetit!

Summer said...

OHHH! I love this new segment.

I'm going to make it tomorrow. The rigatoni was a hit, so I know you can pick winners.

Marcia said...

YUM. Seriously. I'm making this for Matt this week.

Angie T said...

What is this Redbook? Just kidding. That sounds awesome. I plan on doing some cooking tomorrow--this is perfect cold weather comfort food!