Thursday, December 28, 2006

Snow Day

So it snowed yesterday. It doesn’t snow a lot here, maybe once a year, so no one is ever ready for it. I went to the doctor and then tried to get to work, after an hour and a half I decided to turn back and go home. I waited an hour for the bus I the snow and it never came, I took a bus to the central bus station in town to find out the busses stopped because the snow was piling up on the ground! The city doesn’t have any snow equipment and cannot clear the roads. So I walked to the city center to meet hubby who had spent the whole day getting homeless people into shelters and hotels for the night. When I got there it was obvious that all the public transportation had stopped. The taxis were asking for insane amounts of money and there was no way for us to get home! it wasn’t snowing that much – seriously – any of you actually saw this you wouldn’t believe it, 3 flakes and the city is paralyzed! Anyway a bus showed up! I have to find the driver and kiss him! The bus was packed and people were so nice – they kept squeezing in to let us on, knowing there was no other way for us to get home. The funniest thing about this was – the only bus driver that dared to face the snow was an Ethiopian immigrant! After 4 hours of freezing toes and aching back we got home and cuddled on the couch for the rest of the evening. What a nightmare…


Anyway – it’s all better now and the snow is melting away. The worst thing about this is I didn’t even get to enjoy it! I was going to go home after the doctor when I saw the snow coming but I didn’t think it would get so crazy!


As you know we had a great Christmas and a shitload of presents – I think I’m forgetting some but here are the important ones -


From hubby – Star Trek Fan Collective – Borg, Indiana Jones box set, a Clash DVD.
From NS – awesome boots
From AT - a salad spinner (asked for it) a really cool metal bowl and an orange apron.
From B (AT’s girlfriend) stardust by Neil Gaiman and she also got us black and dark red bed sheets.
From sister and brother in law - a really cool wooden box, like for jewelry, a really nice hand made necklace with an amethyst and Pirates of the Caribbean’s 2.
From my in laws – leather bound Dickens book, a really cool shirt (black lacy thing), a pillow and a stuffed penguin.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are feeling a tad bit better. And it sounds like you had a great Christmas. You raked in the goods.

Anonymous said...

I love my salad spinner. It's awesome.

I love when people have good holidays.