Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Bit Existential…

Met an old friend of mine, Shiri, last night and we got to talk about how long we’ve known each other and how things have changed for us. Naama came up in the convo.

To make a long story short - Naama used to be my best friend about 10 year ago. Now, I don’t know why. Shiri and I were saying how we evolved personally and emotionally in the past 10 years and Naama seems to have regressed… it’s like she gave up on herself somewhere along the way. There’s no joy in her life, not even any fun. She looks and acts like a 43 year divorcee that has let herself go because there’s no hope. And she’s younger than me! She sits at the bar sipping her beer and looking tired and washed up. She talks about her job and her studies like it’s such a chore. She’ll beg you to ask for a certain song from the DJ instead of going up to him herself ‘come on please, I don’t want to go up there…’ and the sighs and the oys…

I look at all of us, we were always together, always at the same bar. Everyone was going through their own shit but we were together. These people were the first people in my life I called friends. And most of them still are my friends, Shiri, Ariane, Avi and I forget a bunch I’m sure. We all grew up in different directions but Naama kinda grew down.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That happens to some people. It's like they let life swallow them up. It's a shame that your friend has turned out this way. You have to take your own journey and let the others take theirs.

Anonymous said...

Wonder what happened?

Most of the time, people tend to grow out of their shyness, shell, or whatever the hell you call it. Sounds like she grew into one!

Melissa said...

Yes, what pook said. It's an interesting observation to make, and I think it's a fairly common thing to happen. You lose people along your way because they're stuck in one place. Shame though. She could be so much happier.

TomboCheck said...

I know some folks like that. I think they just need to find something that they can find true happiness in. Once you find that thing... everything else is easy. :)

I'm sure she will get there in her own time.

None available said...

It's so sad, that regression.

Funny, I was just thinking about this issue the past few days. I think you pretty much nailed it downed to a lack of joy. Basic, easy joy.

So sad.

Brunhilda said...

"the sighs and the oys…"

I know exactly what you mean by that. Unfortunately my mother can be one of those joyless people.