Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Recipe - Tarte au Fromage

K. the results of the recipe poll were as follows – 2, 2.5, 1, 1, 3 and 3. so I had to come to a decision and I asked AP, sitting behind me. He picked 2 so 2 it is. But don’t worry you will get the other recipes later on. Here is it –

2. Tarte au Fromage (cheese tarte) –

Another French classic that my mom used to make. This is great when you have nothing in the house, it comes out all gourmet and you don’t need a lot! You can use any hard cheese you want – I used cheddar once and it was awesome, just make sure you adjust the seasoning according to the saltiness of the cheese. Sometimes I use different kinds or even goat cheese and feta.


Use the pastry recipe from the onion tarte if you feel very French at that moment or use frozen puff pastry if not.

Filling –

2 whole eggs whisked
300 grams grated Gruyere cheese
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons sour cream
Salt
Pepper
Ground nutmeg

Whisk all the ingredients together and season to taste. The filling is a bit runny but fear not, the eggs make it harder as it bakes. Role your dough into a pie baking pan and pour the filling into it. This should cook for about 35 minutes in medium heat until you see the edges of the dough start browning and the filling is golden.

Serve with a nice fresh salad with Dijon mustard vinaigrette.

6 comments:

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

You know, if you weren't so far away I would have come over for dinner! But, in checking air fare... it's just not a smart decision :) Now, if you toss some meat or veggies in there.. is it not a quiche? Looks yummy though, I love anything which requires gallons of cheese. Don't get me started on fondue :)

SarahReznor said...

you can add bacon - comes out really good!

Brunhilda said...

Sounds yummy, and oh so freaking fancy. I make something similar, but it has ham in it. Yummy. I second the notion that anything with cheese is fantastic.

Bloody Whore said...

Cheeeseee.....*drools.

Unknown said...

Yeah, so there's NO WAY I'LL be able to make this - can we express it to Toronto? You make it, I'll pay for the shipping - sound good? ;)

Marcia said...

I'm going to make this soon!

And.

Dude, if you were any closer, I'd have you over for dinner. And it would be tres fun. :)